The Budget tab of the Project Admin box in the project workspace allows you to set/edit the budget, change rates, and override the bill rates for the Providers of this project. You can also see what percent of the budget has been used so far and additional budget breakdown data.
To access the Project Admin box, hover over Projects in the left navigation and then select a project. You can find the box on the right side of the project workspace under the Activity tab.
The top portion of the Budget tab shows the total budget amount and which users are able to view this tab.
The middle portion of the tab shows an organized breakdown of the budget data, including:
- Actual Fees to Date amount
- Remaining amount
- Number of budgeted tasks
- Project hours remaining—calculated by Remaining Budget / (Actual Fees to Date / Total Billable Hours)
- Total expenses and billable expenses
The lower portion of the tab shows recent budget activity, such as change orders and the original budget. Click the arrow in-line with a change order to view the order submission details.
The bottom portion of the tab has two buttons:
- Propose Budget Change—Select this button to open the Price Change section where you can submit a new budget for approval.
Note: If the project's budget hasn't been established yet, selecting this button will open the Set Original Budget section instead.
- Change Rates—Select this button to go to the project's Rates & Roles page, where you can adjust the rates and roles for each team member in the project without needing to change the default account Rates and Roles.
How to Propose a Budget Change (as a Provider)
If you need to make an addition or subtraction to the total budget—not provide a new total budget—you can do so from the Project Admin box.
- In the Budget tab of the Project Admin box, click Propose Budget Change. Additional fields appear.
Note: This option only appears if Project Settings require that changes to the budget be approved by clients with Edit Financials permissions (or higher). If there are no clients with the appropriate permission level in the project, a Project Administrator on the Provider side of the project can approve budget changes.
- Click the Price Change field to enter the amount of the budget change. The change can be a positive or negative amount.
Note: The price change amount must be a whole number. If your budget change proposal contains a decimal, that decimal amount will not be included in the budget change. For example, if you propose a change of $500.75, the budget change will be submitted as $500.
- If desired, provide a Message.
- Click Submit. The proposed budget change appears in the project's Activity feed and under the Budget tab of the Project Admin box.
How to Approve or Decline a Budget Change
You can Approve or Decline a proposed budget change at the top of the Budget tab of the Project Admin box.
Alternatively, you can Approve or Decline a budget change in the Activity feed.
You can enable notifications in Notification Settings to get notified when a project budget change order is proposed or when your change order is approved or declined.
- Project Admin Box: Team Tab
- Project Admin Box: Schedule Tab
- Project Admin Box: Budget Tab
- Project Admin Box: Payment Tab