Keep task budgets and task estimated hours in sync with estimated fees and resource estimated hours during the Estimate stage.
During the Estimate stage, the Update Estimates option in the Summary Bar helps you keep task budgets and task estimated hours in sync with estimated fees and resource estimated hours as you assign resources to tasks, enter resource estimated hours, and build out the estimate.
Whether you’re billing by time and materials or fixed fee, it’s simple to sync your estimated fees to the task budgets, and then adjust the budgets to your desired amounts where needed.
How to Update Task Estimates During the Estimate Stage
- In the left navigation, click Projects, and then select the desired project on the Projects page.
- In the project workspace, click the Task Tracker tab.
- If the Summary Bar below the Task Tracker table is collapsed, select the Sigma (“ ”) icon to expand it.
- Select the Update Estimates (“ ”) icon in the Summary Bar.
- In the modal that appears, select which task values to update:
- Task Budgets—If checked, task budgets will be set to the estimated fees ( resource estimated hours ⨉ bill rate, for each assigned resource). Any tasks that have no resource estimated hours, have zero estimated fees, or have a budget already equal to the estimated fees will not be updated.
Task Estimated Hours —If checked, the task estimated hours will be set to the sum of all the resource estimated hours on the task. Any tasks that have no resource estimated hours or have task estimated hours that already equal the sum of resource estimated hours will not be updated.
- Select Apply. The task fields you selected are updated and a success message appears in the top-right corner of the screen.