Account Permissions Needed: Project Creator (or higher)
You can create templates from any of your projects. Doing so facilitates more accurate quoting and better representation of the complexity of work your team does for clients. Note that if you have archived tasks you want to include in the template, you first need to unarchive the tasks.
When you create a template from a project, the following information automatically appears in the template:
- Project duration
- Tasks and subtasks
- Task information, such as task type, Description, Budget, Duration, Start date, and Checklist items
- Resource roles assigned to tasks (both in the Tasks and Resources tabs)
- Scheduled hour assignments on tasks
- Skills associated to resource roles
Note that if you have archived tasks you want to include in the template, you first need to unarchive the tasks.
Create a Template from an Existing Project
- From the left navigation, select Templates.
- On the Project Templates page, click the Template from Project button in the Templates toolbar.
- In the New Template from a Project modal, choose the project you want to use, and then click Select.
- The Project Templates page automatically populates with the project information. You can change the order of Tasks and subtasks, edit the task information, delete Tasks and subtasks, and add new ones.
Note: Each project template has a 200,000 Character Limit. This amount is the cumulative total of all fields in the template. Your current character amount will update when you click Save.
- To make the template available to other account members, click the Sharing drop-down and select an option.
- Click the Resources tab to see all resources added to the template, as well as their number of task assignments and any estimated hours. You can use unnamed resources as placeholders to indicate demand for roles before you know who can fill them.
- To add another resource, click Add Resource, then select the Resource Role and—if needed—update the Resource Label.
Note: Only the roles that you’ve created in Settings > Roles will be available in the Add Role drop-down. When you create a project from this template, each role can be mapped to a named or new unnamed resource.
- When ready, Save your new template.