How to Create a Project from an Existing Template
- On the left navigation, hover over Templates and select All Templates.
- In the Actions column, click the Create Project icon for the template that you want to use.
- On the Create a Project page, you can adjust general details of the project.
- You’ll notice your selected template in the Template section. You can click Select a Project Template to change it.
Note: Templates that have budgets enabled will only appear in the Select a Project Template drop-down menu if the project that you are creating has Financials enabled.
- In the Template Preferences section, you can enable weekends as workdays, convert checklist items to To Dos, and set a relative start date for the project.
- In the Map To column, you have the option to map your unnamed resources to account members who will then be automatically invited and assigned to the appropriate tasks. Unnamed resources can be assigned to tasks in the Task Tracker after you create the project.
- Add or edit the role by clicking the Project Role drop-down menu and selecting one from the list. This field is populated with the resource role that was added to the template. Clicking the Remove (“ ”) icon will remove a role for a named or unnamed resource. However, In order to create a project from this template, all unnamed resources must have a role.
Tip: If you need to add resources that were not included in the applied template, you can use the Resource Plan section to add these resources and create allocated hours for your resources based on the dates, hours, and allocation percentage you enter.
- When you’re ready, click Create Project in the upper-right corner. The project appears in your Project List. Any edits that you make in the new project will not affect the original template.
Members with account permissions of Project Creator (or higher) can easily move tasks from one project to another by first creating a template from an existing project and then creating a new project from that template. Click Templates in the left navigation, click Template from Project on top right, and select the project to clone. When you're done, follow the instructions in this article to create a new project from that template.