Identify who is tracking their time appropriately and where it's at in the approval process in the Time Approvals Analytics report.
Summary: Identify who is tracking their time appropriately and where it's at in the approval process.
The time approval process in Kantata OX involves members submitting their timesheets, then someone reviewing and either approving or rejecting the timesheets.
The Time Approvals Analytics report provides details about the time approval process; specifically the submitter and the approver of the timesheet, as well as time approvals for every hour logged during the specified timesheet period. If needed, you can filter down to an individual status such as Unsubmitted, Pending, Approved, and more.
Conveniently, this report includes the emails of the people who need to submit or approve time, making it easy for you to take action. For example, if you need to know who has timesheets that haven’t been submitted, select the desired time period and filter by the Unsubmitted status to generate a list of resources to follow up with.
If you’re the company’s designated time approver, the Time Approvals report is useful when you’re trying to close out the week or month and need to make sure all timesheets have been submitted and are in an Approved or Not Applicable state.
Note: You can also use this report to give users a look at whose time they are responsible for approving. Perhaps they are filling in for a Designated Approver who’s out on vacation; they’ll be able to see the time they’ve been appointed to approve in the original approver’s absence.
To access this Analytics report, hover over Analytics from the left navigation and then select Time Approvals from the People section.
How to Configure the Report
You can filter the Time Approvals report in the following ways:
- Timesheet Period—Use the date picker to specify the period in which data is retrieved for the report. Most Analytics reports require that you specify a date range in order to generate a report.
- Time Status—This refers to the approval status of the timesheets. This saves you from having to manually scan through each member looking for a specific approval status.
- All Statuses—View timesheets of all statuses.
- Unsubmitted—Timesheets which haven’t been submitted for approval.
- Pending—Timesheets which have been submitted and are pending approval.
- Approved—Timesheets which have been approved.
- Not Applicable—Indicates hours that were logged on projects that don’t require time approvals.
Note: Rejected time approvals are not shown in this report; this is because rejected timesheets are sent back to the user for them to resubmit.
- Organizations—When enabled, Organizations can limit visibility or categorize project data in standard Analytics reports, so you can see how specific departments or regions are performing. Simply choose an available Department and/or Geography to include them in the report. For more information, see our Organizations in Analytics Reports article.
- Group—Only timesheets logged to projects belonging to groups you specify are included in the report. As you start typing the group's name, the drop-down will populate with a list of relevant selections.
- Project—Leave this field blank to view multiple projects using alternative filter criteria (e.g., Time Status). To view a single project, specify the name of the project. As you begin typing, a drop-down appears below the field, populated with a list of relevant selections. Choose the project to use for the report.
- Possible Hours Range—Use the min and max fields to specify a range of possible workweek hours. This is useful for filtering for users with certain workweek capabilities, such as full-time employees or part-time employees.
- Hours Range—Use the min and max fields to specify a range of logged hours for the timesheet period.
- Personnel—Use this field to limit the report to a specific member who has tracked time. As you start typing, a drop-down appears below the field with a list of relevant members.
- Designated Approver—Use this field to limit the report to a specific member who is responsible for approving time. As you start typing, a drop-down appears below the field with a list of relevant members. For more information about how to designate time approvers, please see the Designate Time Approvals article.
- Actual Approver—Use this field to limit the report to a specific member who approved time. As you start typing, a drop-down appears below the field with a list of relevant members.
- Full-Time Notification Status—Use this field to filter the report depending on whether the user is notified when submitting fewer hours than their billable utilization target. Receives Notifications indicates that the Warn user when submitting fewer hours than weekly target setting is checked for the user in the Financial section of the Account Members Details Side Panel.
How to Generate the Report
It is recommended that you double-check the selected report filters (above) before generating or exporting the report.
- Generate Report—Click this button to generate the report using the selected criteria. After a few seconds, the report results will appear below the filters in the Kantata OX interface. You can then "save" the report by exporting it as an XLS or CSV file.
- Reset Report—Clears the selected filter criteria and resets the report to its empty, default state.
- Export Report—Report data (filtered by your selection criteria) is automatically exported to an XLS (Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet) or CSV (Comma Separated Values) file and saved to the default folder for downloaded files on your computer.
How to Read this Report
A generated Analytics report is typically divided into sections containing charts and tables; often, a report header containing summary information, followed by details that make up the body of the report. Depending on the combination of selected filters and attributes, each report can be broken down (i.e., sliced and diced) to surface specific trends or interesting patterns.
Here's how to read what appears in a generated Time Approvals report:
- Hours Tracked—Total number of hours tracked for the selected period.
- Approved—Total number of approved hours.
- Pending—Total number of pending hours.
- Unsubmitted—Total number of unsubmitted hours.
- Not Applicable—Total number of hours logged to projects that don’t require time approval.
- Possible Hours—Total possible hours based on the Account Default or member Custom workweek.
Below the summary is a table containing details for specific members.
- Person—Shows the name and email address of the person.
- Possible Hours—Shows the user’s possible hours based on the Account Default or member Custom workweek. An asterisk beside the possible hours indicates that the user is notified when submitting fewer hours than their billable utilization target.
- Total Hours—Shows the total number of hours they’ve logged.
- Status—Shows the status of the timesheet(s) for this period. If the user has timesheets with different approval statuses, you’ll see Multiple Statuses in this column. You can expand the user’s row to see more details.
- Submitted At—Shows when the timesheet was submitted.
- Approved At—Shows when the timesheet was approved.
- Designated Approver—Shows who is supposed to approve this member’s time. If there are multiple people responsible for approving this member’s time, you’ll see Multiple Approvers in this column. You’ll see the name and email address, allowing you to follow up with the designated approver.
- Approved By—Shows the person who approved the timesheet, if applicable. You’ll see the name and email address, allowing you to follow up with an approver if there are any issues.
If you need additional details for a user in the table, you can either hover over the (?) tooltip next to Multiple Statuses to see the total hours for each status, or expand the member section to reveal the individual projects and their corresponding statuses. Clicking on the name of a project will open the timesheet for that project on the selected date range.