The Smart Upload Manager is an additional feature for Kantata OX. For access, please contact Customer Success.
To assist you in learning more about the Smart Upload Manager, visit the Smart Upload Manager Training Courses.
The Smart Upload Manager is a tool designed to help automate the import of data from CSV files into Kantata OX. With SUM, you can use CSV files to:
- Update Project Lead Functionalities—The current project lead gets promoted, leaves the company, or otherwise is no longer performing project lead functions and you need to assign them to role-related functionalities and projects. The SUM allows you to update the project lead to a new person and add them to their respective projects with only 2 data set uploads as opposed to clicking through many projects, allowing your users to continue delivering work with minimal interruption.
- Add or Update New Custom Fields Across Objects—You have added a new custom field that needs to be updated across existing projects, tasks, users, etc. The SUM allows you to update multiple fields across many objects in a single blueprint which expedites custom field currency.
- Update Tasks Across Multiple Projects—You need to update month-end tasks for processes for financial and billing metrics such as financial period closure, task budgets, percent complete, end dates, and other data points. The SUM allows you to update all desired tasks across multiple projects in a single blueprint to accelerate the monthly close processes such as invoicing, revenue recognition, and other financial processes on a deadline.
The Smart Upload Manager currently supports the following Kantata objects:
You can upload and import any combination of the above objects; however, only one of each object can be imported per process.
The following concepts can help you understand how the Smart Upload Manager validates and processes data:
- Data Set—A specific Kantata object (see table above) and the corresponding CSV file that is uploaded, processed, and validated is considered a "data set". All objects added to a blueprint appear as tabs to the right of the blueprint's Home tab below the blueprint name. You can only have one of each object (i.e., "data set") per blueprint (e.g., Project Allocations). You can only process and validate one CSV file per data set.
- Blueprint—A blueprint is a collection of data sets. Once CSV files have been uploaded to each data set, the entire blueprint is processed and validated (i.e., "imported").
How to Access the Smart Upload Manager
- Go to https://smartuploadmanager.com/
- Click Sign in with Kantata OX. The Smart Upload Manager Home page loads.
Note: If you haven’t signed in before, you’re taken to an OAuth Authorization page, which asks to authorize the Smart Upload Manager to access your Kantata account. Select Authorize to allow access.
- Once authorized and signed in, you’ll be taken to the Smart Upload Manager Home page.
How to Create a Blueprint
- On the Smart Upload Manager homepage, click + New Blueprint in the left navigation.
- On the New Blueprint page, enter the blueprint name.
- Select each object you want to add to the blueprint.
Note: You cannot add more data sets after starting the blueprint.
- When you are finished, select Start Blueprint. You're automatically redirected to the Home tab in the new blueprint page.
How to Upload to Data Sets
- In the left navigation bar, select the blueprint you want to upload a data set to. The blueprint Home tab opens.
- On the Blueprint page, select the tab for the object you want to upload a data set or CSV file to.
- Select Upload CSV or click and drag the CSV file from your computer into the upload box.
Note: If needed, select Download Template to download a data set template to use for reference.
- The CSV file uploads. The data set status changes from Created to Uploaded and the correlating object tab icon turns green.
Note: After uploading your CSV file, the options to Replace or Export the data set appears.
How to Validate a Blueprint
- In the left navigation bar, select the blueprint you want to validate. The blueprint Home tab opens.
- Click Validate. The validation process begins across all the data sets.
Note: Validation can be stopped by clicking Stop on the blueprint Home tab. Blueprints can be validated again if stopped partway through.
- The validation completes and each data sets’ status updates to Validated or validated_with_errors:
- Validated—The blueprint has been successfully validated. The validator checks for data between data sets and within Kantata OX itself. This process may take some time to complete depending on the size and amount of data.
- Validated_with_errors—The data sets have encountered errors during the validation process. Click on the Error (" ") icon to see the specific error message in a pop-up window. Once all errors are resolved, the blueprint must be validated again.
How to Process a Blueprint
In order to process a blueprint, its status must be Validated. If your blueprint status is successfully validated, the validation timestamp and Process button will appear on the blueprint Home page.
- In the left navigation bar, select the blueprint you want to process. The blueprint Home tab opens.
- Select Process to begin importing the blueprint data into Kantata OX. The Smart Upload Manager starts making API calls to create or update records in Kantata OX.
Note: Processing can be permanently stopped by clicking Cancel on the blueprint Home tab. This will immediately end the data importing and cancel the blueprint entirely. Data that was already imported will remain in Kantata OX.Note: A blueprint cannot be processed again after it has been cancelled.
- Once processing is complete, the blueprint displays one of two statuses: Processed or Processed with errors:
Note: A blueprint cannot be uploaded, validated, or processed again after a finalized initial processing.
Processed—The blueprint has successfully processed in Kantata OX and your data sets were imported into Kantata OX without errors.
Processed_with_errors—One or more rows in a data set have failed to import into Kantata OX. The data set will indicate which rows have failed with a red icon. Select the icon (“ ”)to see the error message in a pop-up window or select Export Data Set to export the data set and any error messages that were generated during processing to a CSV file.
- Processed—The blueprint has successfully processed in Kantata OX and your data sets were imported into Kantata OX without errors.
- Once your blueprint is successfully processed, it is complete and read-only. Data sets can now be viewed and exported.