The Resource Center automatically accounts for individual time off, scheduled weekends, and company holidays assigned via Settings > Schedule. Unnamed resources use the default workweek and holiday calendar.
How to Allocate Resources by Percentage
When you allocate a resource, you’ll assign it as a percentage of the member’s available capacity between the start and end of an allocation. A team member's capacity is determined by their workweek, time off, and holiday calendars.
For example, if a team member is working a normal 40-hour week, and you assign them to work on a project for 25% of their workweek, 10 hours are automatically allocated to that project for that team member. This is helpful if you’d like to utilize all of a member’s available hours across several projects.
How to Allocate Resources by Hours
You can also allocate resources by the total number of hours. You can do this either by typing the exact number of hours in the allocation modal or dragging the appropriate number of days/hours across the timeline.
The number of hours assigned to each resource per day is based on the account default workweek or any custom workweeks that have been set for individual team members.
For example, if one of your members normally works 4 hours per day and you assign them to work 3 days on a project, a total of 12 hours is automatically allocated to the project for that team member.
How to Split an Allocation
There are times you may want to split an allocation for a single resource in order to separate the available time for a project into two separate allocations. For instance, you may need a designer to devote 80 hours of their available hours during the first week of a project and 20 hours of their available hours during the second week. To do this, right-click on the allocation on the day you want the time to split, and then select Split Allocation. The allocation splits, and a new allocation is created.
When you split an allocation, both the old and new allocation will contain the same percentage, but the hours may vary depending on where you split the allocation on the timeline.
How to Allocate a Resource
Navigate to a Resourcing area in Kantata:
- Projects > select a project > Resourcing
- Resourcing > Resource Center > Team Members
- Resourcing > Resource Center > Projects
- From the respective Resourcing page, locate the resource you want to add allocations to, clicking the drop-down arrow to expand the top-level row if needed.
Note: Depending on where you are in Kantata, the order of these rows may vary. For example, the resource row is the top-level row in the Team Members tab.
- On the timeline to the right of the resource, select the day that you want the allocation to begin. Alternatively, you can also click and drag through several days.
Note: For information on creating multiple allocations based on scheduled hours, see Create Allocations from Scheduled Hours.
- When the Add Allocation modal appears, you can manually set the starting and ending dates, allocation by Percentage (or Hours), and designate whether or not the allocation is Soft or Hard.
- If needed, enter any relevant Notes about the allocation.
- Click Save to apply your changes.