The Resource Center page is divided into two main sections: the list on the left and the timeline on the right. The list section contains project and resource information. Where this information appears can vary based on which tab of the Resource Center you have navigated to.
The following information appears by default in the respective tab:
- Team Members—The Team Member list gives you a comprehensive overview of named and unnamed resources (including all roles and skills). Each resource row can be expanded to show the projects the resources are assigned to, any time off they have scheduled, and their allocated, scheduled, and actual hours for the project. Each project row with task assignments can be expanded to show the tasks the resources are assigned to, as well as their estimated, scheduled, and actual hours for the task and other task information.
Tip: To automatically expand all resource rows in the Team Members tab, select the Expand (“ ”) icon above the Team Member list.
- Projects—The Projects list gives you a comprehensive overview of active projects (including project budget information). Each project row can be expanded to show the team members and unnamed resources assigned to the projects and includes the same information as the Team Members tab. Additionally, each resource row can be expanded to show the tasks these resources are assigned to, as well as their estimated, scheduled, and actual hours for the task.
Tip: To automatically expand all resource rows in the Projects tab, select the Expand (“ ”) icon above the Projects list.
To help you quickly find the projects, resources, or tasks you're looking for, you can use filters to narrow your focus with specific roles, skills, statuses, and other criteria. The filters that are available vary depending on which tab you've selected.
Named and Unnamed Resources
The Team Member and Projects lists are comprised of both named and unnamed resources.
- Named Resource:
- A resource to which an individual, named team member has been assigned.
- Named resources can either have soft or hard allocations.
- When rate cards are not in use, the projected budget is calculated based on the member’s bill rate.
- Unnamed Resource:
- Think of an unnamed resource as a placeholder—a way to indicate a need/demand for a certain role before knowing who will fill that need/demand.
- Can only be soft allocated.
- When rate cards are not in use, the projected budget is calculated based on the average bill rate of all members with the same default role.
- Can be used to fill resourcing needs by allowing users to submit requests.
Allocated, Scheduled, and Actual Hours
In the Team Member and Projects lists, you can view the Allocated, Scheduled, and Actual hours for each resource of each project. These hours represent staffing expectations from three different perspectives.
- Allocated Hours are the total hours initially allocated to a person to complete a particular project. As a resource manager learns more about the project, they'll be able to adjust allocated hours to accommodate other projects and changing scope needs.
- Scheduled Hours are the hours that someone is scheduled to work on a particular task. Scheduled hours represent the project manager's plan to complete the project, based on specific tasks and day-to-day assessments.
- Actual Hours are the hours tracked, to date, for the person. They can be tracked at the task level or at the project level, depending on that person’s account settings.
On the task row, you can see a resource’s total number of Estimated, Scheduled, and Actual hours at the task level. Estimated Hours are the total hours roughly estimated that it will take a person to complete a task.
To learn more about these hour types and where else they appear in Kantata, see Hour Types in Kantata OX.
From the Resource Center list, you can use the More (“ ”) menu to perform actions at the project level:
- Change unnamed resources to team members
- Convert team members to unnamed resources
- Modify a resource’s allocated hours
- Edit or delete resources
- Remove team members from projects
The options available vary slightly for named and unnamed resources.
In the Projects tab, you can also add team members and unnamed resources to projects, with these options located just below all the resources listed in the project.
When you expand your project and resource rows to reveal the task row, you can use the More (“ ”) menu to clear or modify a resource's scheduled hours assignments on tasks.